As the COVID-19 Coronovirus situation develops across Australia and globally, we're taking extra precautions to minimise the risk of viral spread from surface contact between guest stays.
Updated procedures for our cleaning staff
Our cleaning staff will be the first to enter your property after your guests checkout, so it's important they understand how the virus spreads. COVID-19 is an enveloped virus, which means it can be disrupted simply through the application of soap, water, and agitation.
That means practicing good hand hygiene. We're instructing our cleaners to wash their hands thoroughly and provided them with effective hand-washing guidelines.
There is no definitive data on how long the new coronavirus can survive on surfaces. Based on advice from the WHO, COVID-19 may be able to survive on surfaces for up to two days at room temperature, which means we've asked our cleaners to be mindful to avoid touching any uncleaned surfaces and then touching their face.
Since our cleaners already wipe down all surfaces in the properties we manage, their processes will not change dramatically. However, we've instructed them to pay additional attention to specific areas and procedures:
- Use of approved disinfectants. Not all cleansers disinfect, and when dealing with an infectious virus, we want to be sure it has been eradicated it from all surfaces.
- Our cleaners are specifically instructed to wipe down surfaces commonly touched by guests with their hands such as light switches, lamps, cupboard handles, doorknobs, banisters, remotes, and thermostats even if they otherwise appear clean and untouched. These are relatively small areas of the property that don’t normally require special attention, but since it is extremely likely that a previous guest made contact with these surfaces with their hands, we've decided to specifically highlight them.
- Our cleaners will run all of your dishes and flatware through the dishwasher – including the clean ones and even if they appear unused.
- Sanitize high-contamination areas with disinfectant spray or bleach in the toilet, bathroom sink and trash can.
- Wipe down all appliances, electronics, and remotes.
- Washing and disinfecting cleaning items after use.
- Just before our cleaning staff leaves the property, they will also sterilise the door handle, keypad and keys in a lockbox.
Ask an Airbnb expert: want more information about short-term rental in Australia? Submit your question to the MadeComfy team below.